Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Merino Wool for Commuting: Review of the Bosun Jacket from Mission Workshop

Merino wool products are great for commuting to work. They are comfortable, look great, and conduct heat well--but so do a lot of other products. What makes them extra special is the fact that they resist odor and wrinkling.

When I arrive at work I often change clothes and then back again for the commute home--so wearing apparel that does not smell in the office and that dries out for the return trip and still looks good is important. That is where Merino wool products really outperform many other products, at least in my experience.

I have really enjoyed the The Bosun Dynamic Merino Wool Jacket from Mission Workshop in San Francisco.




I got it on a trip there in Nov., 2011, and enjoyed the Mission Workshop retail shop as well (and it carries other useful, high quality cycling gear for commuters, has knowledgeable and friendly staff, and sells good coffer beans too). I wear it as an outer layer when the weather is cool (approx. 55F to 70F) over a Merino wool base layer (or even a short sleeve under a long sleeve one if overcast or windy), and also as a mid-layer under either a windbreaker or light jacket down to about 40F (they offer the Orion for that, which looks great too, but I don't have that [yet!]; more about what I do use another day). I occasionally wear it under a heavier jacket when under 40F, although usually in that case I choose a Merino wool sweatshirt with a hood from Icebreaker for the mid-layer (more later). I don't like to be cold, and since I have asthma, I attend to not getting a chill once sweating--which is to say that some might be comfortable wearing this with less layers and in colder temperatures than I do; I would rather be a bit hot until the ride is finished and I am in warmer temperatures, or can change into dry clothes.

It feels and looks great (in my view) both on the bike and when I need to walk between buildings on campus later in the day. I choose it sometimes when I am not biking too--it is a nice car jacket. However, it does not have a lot of pockets and I tend to need more space (for gloves, neck gator, hat, etc.) when not using the bike (on which I carry a pannier usually, or pack of some kind), but the two it does have are nice: one on the inside chest (phone/player size) and one on the lower back-left side (5 1/2 in. sq.), both with horizontal zippers. The sleeves are a bit long for me, but they roll up neatly; no problem. It does not offer reflectivity, and I wish it did, even a little classy touch--so I add a florescent yellow band on the left arm when riding (black in shade or glare as well as darkness can make one hard to spot for even the careful driver--so safety first is a motto I am not ashamed to subscribe to).

This piece is slim fitting, but not skinny/tight fitting like a lot of bicycle jerseys and jackets. I don't like tight fitting pieces generally, wear medium in non-cycling shirts and jackets, and bought this in large rather than medium, which I often do with cycling outerwear in order for it to drape and also to be able to layer underneath. The sleeves and shoulders are snug, which in this case works great for layering over it too.

This jacket is not cheap, but the value is there for me because I love it and have used it many times over the past year. I've rarely needed to wash it (I am easy on clothes, and my wife is an expert on such things!); it still looks new and feels special every time I begin to put it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment