Friday, January 25, 2013

ColdAvenger Cold Weather Mask Review

Yesterday was 12F with high wind when I left for work, and that would have been a challenge for me in the past because of asthma. I wear a neck gaiter/chute or balaclava when it is cold, usually starting in the 50's F (merino wool, of course, but also some made with synthetics), not only because I don't like to be cold, but because I don't want to provoke asthma. I just can't afford to breathe cold air, especially running or cycling and the like, or to get sweaty and then chilled; the consequences can be dangerous and last a long time. So I am careful, maybe even too careful at times. Yet I find that breathing through the fabric when it gets to freezing and below is not comfortable and is messy. So I tried something new to me, brought to my attention by All Seasons Cyclist; thank you once again!



The mask worked wonderfully now on several bicycle commutes, yesterday proving that it works for me to approximately 0F windchill, and it was clear that it would work at still colder temperatures. I am delighted! I will now see how that works out for a run at colder temps than I have been willing to undertake. It covers my neck as well as lower face and ears perfectly.

Here is how the manufacturer, Talus, explains the product benefits of the ColdAvenger Pro Softshell High Performance Cold Weather Mask: "The unique ventilator design of ColdAvenger mechanically mixes inhaled cold air with exhaled warm air and allows for easy, no resistance breathing. The ventilator binds exhaled moisture to its plastic surface to keep the face dry and helps prevent airway drying by returning this moisture during breathing.  ColdAvenger allows for unrestricted nasal and mouth breathing, both critical for maximum outdoor performance. Nasal breathing not only helps humidify the airway, but also provides for increased flow of oxygen and blood to the periphery of the lungs where more efficient oxygen exchange occurs to enhance athletic performance. The microclimate created by ColdAvenger’s ventilator provides provides a cool sensation of airflow through the mouth and nose which helps prevent feelings of breathlessness and claustrophobia particularly in endurance exercise in the cold, much like the feeling of respiratory comfort provided by air conditioning. This air conditioned microclimate also stimulates the brain center for alertness to help reduce fatigue." They list a number of features and benefits at their web site.

I can attest that it fits a small head just fine, feels comfortable to the skin, covers my ears and neck well, and goggles fit over the top of the nose area well. (All photos are theirs)


There are several versions of half masks such as I am using and balaclavas, including designs for more extreme conditions and expeditions than I have in my sights. I went with this so that I could use a hooded sweatshirt or a cap under the helmet and also for running when the temperatures might not demand the fully alien look of a balaclava--the full ninja, you might say. But yesterday it was cold enough to go out fully covered by the mask with a hoodie and ski goggles--I saw no other cyclers on my commute, only folks in cars who looked like they might well understand that dressing for warmth, even if a bit weird looking, was paramount.

When you breathe through material fogging of glasses becomes an issue. I have used ski goggles when below freezing, and this has eliminated the problem for the most part. The ColdAvenger with the ski goggles worked well too. I did experience a little fogging, not overall so as to be blinded, and I will have to experiment to figure out how to avoid that altogether, if possible (I now see that they sell a product for that). It does restrict my ability to look backwards to check traffic without turning my entire torso more than I prefer to do, so I am playing with how tight to fasten the velcro closure and how much to loosen the helmet strap. So far have figured out that gathering a bit of the material in front of the strap after attaching it helps. I will probably need to wear a mirror to enhance safety; noticed that I avoided certain route choices that required looking back to make left hand turns.

Yes, it might look silly to some. I am amazed when I see folks able to run or bike or engaged in sports and other activities with no face covering, much less this kind of technical, slightly cumbersome, and certainly unflattering product on their face and neck. And then there is the need to get it off and wipe your face quickly before anyone sees you--all the more one's students! And I also see some folks in shorts and T-shirts when I am wearing several layers--no envy intended, I just am not made of the same great stuff! But now I can do some of the same things if I make the adjustments I seem to need versus not undertaking the activities--so I am delighted by this product, and recommend it if you are similarly challenged.

2 comments:

  1. I have a few questions:

    1.) Do you ride in below freezing wind chills without eyewear (with no snow)?

    2.) What make and model are your goggles?

    3.) Do you wear your goggles at any part of the front of your face, over any clothing that you wear on your head? This question is intended to at least give me an idea of how people wear their goggles and if it influences fog that forms on the lenses, if perhaps wearing goggles in this fashion makes for less of a seal, allowing cold air into space between your eyes and goggles.

    I ask your questions with this in mind:

    I would consider using my bike more but prefer eyewear (the last time I went a ride without, I'm not sure if it was a fluke, but I got something in my eye and irritated my eye for a good minute or two at least during which I could I was stopped and couldn't ride, which never happens with glasses).

    However, I also prefer covering my nose, because it seems if I don't, it gives me sinus problems later and makes me mildly sick (I shall have to keep a log to track this perhaps).

    In short, I will start using a scarf and or a balaclava if I am able to have clear vision (eyewear that does not fog or not wearing eyewear) and in the future, perhaps purchase this balaclava (which I came across at least a year or two ago and have been considering purchasing it).

    An added bonus is that it's manufactured in the U.S., something that is a rarity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave,
      1) I wear ski goggles when it is below freezing, now with the ColdAvenger (somewhat like the photo shows), previously with a balaclava or neck gaiter over my mouth. Otherwise, I wear glasses of some kind when I ride. Even 50F rides will make my eyes run, especially when first start out.

      2) My ski goggles are by Bolle, a relatively small style (for my relatively small face), but I am not sure of the model name.

      3) Yes, I wear the goggles over the fabric of the hat or hood as well as the ColdAvenger mask or balaclava/gaiter. I do still seem to get a small amount of fogging in areas of the goggles, especially when it is below 20F and windy. Still experimenting myself to figure out how to best avoid and fix when it occurs, which seems inconsistent. But it is not over all of the lens (mostly at the top sides), so I can see well enough to ride.

      I have had better luck avoiding fog with the ColdAvenger than with other ways of covering my mouth, which is important for me to cover to avoid asthma starting at about 50F or so when riding or running. I do not necessarily share your concern to cover my nose, but the ColdAvenger does cover the nose and mouth. It creates really nice air to breath. I wore it about 4 hours today to shovel snow in a cold wind and it made it much more pleasant than would have been the case with a scarf or balaclava.

      One more thing, on which I intend to blog: Tifosi offers eyewear with several lens choices in several styles that helps to avoid fogging with small openings in the lenses, and costs $50-100. I have found them helpful when not cold enough to require the ColdAvenger or goggles, although still fog when not moving and breathing through fabric.

      Hope this helps,
      Mark

      Delete