Wednesday, January 23, 2013

For freezing temperatures add a chamois layer

When the temperature drops below freezing, and if overcast or windy even a few degrees above that, I find that the saddle is very cold where it makes contact with the body, if you know what I mean. What I have discovered is that I can wear a pair of shorts with chamois pad designed for cycling over my base layer (long johns).

Then I put the slacks over this. One can also wear tights or base layer underpants designed for biking with a chamois pad under trousers. I prefer merino wool for the base layer. I have written about one of the kinds of slacks I choose to wear, the Slim Dungarees from Outlier, which can handle the elements (water beads up and runs off!) and stretches and breathes well, and I plan to discuss others that work well too. At some point one might choose more of a rain or snow shell pant, especially if snow or ice is in the cards.

When I arrive at work I change clothes, at least base layer elements, and certainly the layer with the chamois! The merino base layer is great because it will not emit odor when I store it for the day, and will dry out for the return trip. The layer approach allows for several trips with the same chamois since it does not make contact with skin.

The simple point I want to make is that the freezing contact point can be avoided with a simple addition of an element designed for cycling, even if one does not wish to dress like a racer to commute or enjoy a ride.

Looks like tomorrow morning it will be about 12F when I start out--ouch, but not in the saddle!

No comments:

Post a Comment