Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Everyday Wind and Rain Jacket: Gore Bike Wear Path 2.0 Windstopper Review



Since purchasing the Path 2.0 Windstopper by Gore Bike Wear this past Fall I have been reaching for it constantly for my commute as well as for running. The colorfulness with reflective highlights and attributes of breathing well and wind resistance, not to mention flexibility of removing the sleeves when warm enough (55F to 65F for me), whether on the same ride, or the ride to or from a destination (and for a run, all the more so), make it a go to garment. It is also light and easily carried or stored if not needed at some point, and it is wrinkle resistant too. The temperatures have been just above or below freezing here, so I have been using this as the outer layer over both a base- and mid-layer of merino wool, and when well below freezing over a mid-layer jacket. (There are several color combinations, but I think the yellow/black is super for visibility.)

Even though most of my mid- and even outer layers are black and may or may not have reflective highlights, this piece takes care of the safety concern to be visible; hence, its extra usefulness as a vest even when it may warm up a bit. I find that most of the time I leave the pit areas unzipped to avoid overheating, since I tend to overdress to ensure staying warm, not least because I don't want a chill that activates asthma. It does not have a double zipper, so I find it necessary sometimes to unzip the mid layer if overheated, when it would be nice and more convenient while riding to simply unzip this piece from the bottom and leave the chest area fully covered. That said, I am very happy with the many things that it does well.

I appreciate having front-side pockets, and combined with the back pocket this allows one to carry plenty of stuff. It is designed for a "comfort fit" and a Medium would fit me; nevertheless, I got a Large because I knew I would want to wear this over several layers during the winter, and I would rather have it a little loose rather than snug even when that is not the case. The sleeves are long (for me, with 32 length arms what garment isn't?), but fit fine when fastened with the velcro adjustments. The neck has a nice soft feel and provides the coverage of a mock turtleneck. I wear a neck gaiter (merino) when it is below 55F anyway, and either that or a balaclava when it is below freezing. It dries quickly and does not seem to hold odor, and it packs well too. Altogether an excellent piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment