Sunday, February 24, 2013

Tifosi Sunglasses Review: Anti-Fogging and Interchangeable Lenses


The summer of 2012 was so hot and humid that even though I would cycle to various places to run at 6am or so, my sunglasses would fog. So I began to look for a solution. I settled on sunglasses by Tifosi, with which I have been very satisfied.

Envy by Tifosi

Tifosi offers a number of models and lenses designed for different activities and lighting conditions. They include three lenses with the frame purchased, offer them at great prices, and many local bicycle and other sport-related shops carry them.

One of the several factors that led me to choose the 2012 Envy model from Tifosi (at $59.95) was that it was designed for a small to medium face, such as I sport. There are of course models to choose from for different sized faces, but it is not always so easy to find the right fit when you are either smaller or larger than average, so it is helpful that they make it a point to disclose on their web site not only the specific frame and lens sizes in millimeters but also the basic face shape for which the frame/lens is the best match. That is not so readily apparent on their store displays or marked on their glasses, so a trip to the web site is useful even if making your purchase at your local shop, as I did. Many of the models are sportier, but I was looking for something that did not suggest I imagined myself a racer, since that I am certainly not.

As you can see from the photos, the lenses are designed with vents to reduce fogging, which was the main problem I set out to solve. They work when in motion; however, when you stop they may fog, especially when breathing through fabric in cold weather. But they recover quickly when you begin to ride or run again, unless, of course, the moisture freezes on the lens. I find that fogging when stopped or walking after a run can be avoided entirely, or almost so, if I don't breathe through fabric until returning to a more active pace.


The Tifosi Envy Sunglasses come with 3 100% UVA/UVB protection lenses treated with Glare Guard reflective coating to reduce eye fatigue. The Polycarbonate, decentered lenses eliminate prismatic distortion and increase optical clarity for any activity (drawing directly on their advertising pitch here). Lens colors that come standard with the Envy model are Smoke (for bright sunlight, with 15.4% light transmission), AC Red (for all conditions, with 41.4% light transmission) and Clear. I added a fourth lens with my purchase, the GT, designed for Golf/Tennis. They are neutral, with 16.4% light transmission, which is designed for full sun and high contrast so that golf balls stand out.

The lenses are easy to interchange. In the summer I used the Smoke lens almost exclusively, changing it out for night rides. In the winter, I must admit that I have tended to avoid the bother of changing lenses altogether in the low light we get here. Short of choosing ski goggles when it is cold enough to need complete face protection and avoid fogging as well, I am able to use the AC Red lens all the time for riding and running. It works great at night with proper lighting, and all day just fine, even into direct sunrise or sunsets this time of year.

One more nice benefit of choosing interchangeable lenses is the ability to replace them easily if damaged, although I have not yet had to do so (knock on wood!).

The frames are made of durable Grilamid TR-90 with Hydrophilic rubber adjustable temples and nose pads for a no-slip grip.



The glasses come with a great case and cleaning cloth/bag. The case has sleeves for the lenses not mounted on the frame, and there was enough space to store the extra set of lenses I added as well.

Based on what I surveyed in their line and from the experience I have had so far, I highly recommend these sunglasses for fit, protection from sun and elements, interchangeability and variety of specialized lenses, value, and safer enjoyment of the sights without fogging up the view.


No comments:

Post a Comment